Sunday, February 24, 2008

Career Choice!?


As of now, a few career opportunities have aroused my interest. They include being a teacher, an accountant, businesswoman and perhaps even an exhibition designer where I can relax and enjoy myself.


Accountant and businesswoman came to my mind as I am currently taking principle of accounts and I think it is tough yet satisfying. Personally, I have also met teachers who are very dedicated and made me motivated to study, as such, I hope to have such an impact on my future students too.

After much considerations, I decided to be a techer and being a teacher is about nurturing the whole child with all your guts. As a teacher, we would have to believe in possibilities where we engage the students in meaningful learning and give them a holistic education. We nurture in them the spirit of innovation, the passion for learning and the strength of character so that they can create new opportunities for the future.

Nevertheless, to become a teacher, we need to have some personal qualities like having the passion and commitment to teach, creative and resourceful, we must also have good communication and interpersonal skills as well as good organisational skills.
Besides the need for those personal qualities, we also need to have one of the following entry requirements. Either a degree, preferably with a major in at least one teaching subject, or a polytechnic diploma together with five O-level passes including English and Mathematics, or having at least five O-level passes, or even two A-level and two AO-level passes including General Paper at one or two sittings, with five O-level passes including English and Mathematics. After achieving one of the requirements, we also need to go through education and training depending on what holder you are, either a degree holder, a diploma and A-level holder or a O-level holder.

The duties of a teacher is to carry out lessons prepared by oneself that will engage the students, evaluate and give feedback on students' performance by setting and marking assignments and assessments. Other than that, monitoring the students' social development through counselling and working with parents other partners in education is also part of a teacher's duty. Sometimes we also have to plan and facilitate co-curricular activities, programmes and school functions for them.

However, to achieve that goal of mine, I have to start swotting and study assiduously or intensively in order to fufil the requirements required.

No comments: